Here are my quick snapshots so far:
- I saw a hugh rainbow this morning at 7 am as I was boarding the plane. It put a smile on my face for rainbows remind me of God's promises. I thought that was a great sign.
- I stood out like a sort thumb on a plane full of passengers from South India.
- I definitely got the stares.
- The smell wasn't as bad as I thought.
- The one and only ATM machine at the airport was out of electricity until 10 am. Then I asked the officer there if I should wait until 10 am to withdraw my money, since it was already 9.45. He flashed a white smile and said this one and only ATM machine also had no cash.
- Trichy reminds me of Phonm Penh.
- Every woman in this city wears sari. I wonder if it's a taboo to wear jeans?
Eventually I found a decent cafe. Still no air con. But I couldn't stand the heat and wasn't going to be picky anymore. I walked in, looked around, and saw that everything on the menu was in Tamil. So I simply asked for anything chicken only to be told that it was a vegetarian restaurant. But surely they must have Naan. No, the waiter told me. Then I asked what kind of food do they have. The first waiter must have sensed how pathetic I was and rushed off to take order from another table. A minute later, the second waiter came to my table and rattled off some names that I still had no idea what they were. All I could make out was something Dosa. Yeah, get me that, Dosa. He paused and gave me a puzzled look. Did I say something wrong? Then he dashed off again, and a few seconds later, a third waiter came to my table. Finally I looked over somebody else's table and pointed at what the boy there was having, a crepe looking thing. Just get me that please. You want Dosa? He asked. Yeah, yeah, that. Whatever it is, please give me one. Thank You.
I really hope to get some good sleep on the train. I'm beginning to feel somewhat suspended in time.